p

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Legend prefers beeb

Alan Shearer turned down a job coaching the England squad (yesterday) because he'd already promised the BBC he'd sign a new contract with them. So instead of helping them , he's just going to talk about them, which puts you under a lot less pressure, a very understandable decision.

“I want some time away from the pressures of football - I am currently on my longest ever family holiday and enjoying every minute of it." - Big Al

I am frustrated at our apparent non-interest in Sol Campbell. We need a new central defender with experience, as Craig Moore is set to leave at the end of this season. Sol Campbell is a capable England international, from what I've heard he's a nice bloke and he would be in the Arsenal starting line-up if he hadn't chosen to leave. So why haven't we signed him? Maybe we are waiting to offload Boumsong so we can offer Sol his wage demands, which are high, but acceptably so. And if its true he's asked to come here, what are we waiting for? Worringly today's Guardian reported that we have turned down the chance to sign him.

Our away UEFA Cup tie against Ventspils has been moved to the 8 000ish capacity Skonto Stadium in Riga apparently after help from Channel 5 who will show the game live from this bigger stadium but not from their small home ground.

Newcastle till I die, I know am that's why, I know I am, I'm sure I am, Newcastle till I die.