p

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Vi møtes igjen...

Today is the day that not many people care about, but the Toon Army do. News that we are signing a player with the quality of Damien Duff is very good news. Today, for the second time in 3 months, Newcastle United must win a match in order to get into Europe and you would have thought this task is a bit less stressful than the thought of beating Chelsea on the last game of the season, but it seems after last week, Newcastle once again are leaving it late.

Over the past week there have been endless video interviews from our 'confident' stars telling us that Newcastle will be the UEFA Cup come tea time today. Glenn Roeder, Peter Ramage, Titus Bramble, Steven Taylor, Celestine Babayaro, Craig Moore, Nobby Solano, Scott Parker, Nicky Butt, James Milner, Emre, Michael Owen and fitness coach Paul Winsper have all told of the squads postive attitude and confidence of progressing. Don't get me wrong, this is great in two respects. For one it is good to see the squad speaking out in positive way and for another, the 'Newcastle World' service is expensive and at the moment I feel I'm getting my money's worth!

Reports this morning saying that West Ham have discovered that we will sell Milner for £3.5 million and are ready to make a bid. With the imminent arrival of Damien Duff, it would be understandable if he chose to leave, which would also free up the number 11 shirt for Duff (the number he currently sports at Chelsea).

I have chosen not to listen to the game on Newcastle World or purchase Setanta Sports because to be honest I am too nervous. I am nervous about an Intertoto Cup game against a Norwegian team! It just shows what our beloved football club chooses to put us through, even though I believe everything will be good soon. Instead of sitting nervously in front my computer or TV, I am going to watch a pre-season friendly between Doncaster Rovers and Real Sociedad having already seen Doncaster annihilate my local team Retford 7-1 (Ex-Newcastle defender Karl Colley scoring Retford's only goal while Ex-Tooners James Coppinger and Lewis Guy appeared for the visitors).